Empordà - Costa Brava
Such as Cadaqués, Port de la Selva, Selva de Mar, Maçanet de Cabrenys, Sant Pere Pescador, l’Escala, Sant Llorenç de la Muga, Besalú, Peratallada, Pals.
As the Dolmen of Puig del Llop, Dolmen of Puig d’Esquers, Dolmen of Puig Tifell, the Standing Stone of Mas Roquer, Dolmen of Mas de la Mata, Dolmen of Roca Miralles.
Cities of the Middle Ages
- Alt Empordà: Castelló of Empuries, Peralada, Sant Martí of Empuries (L’ Escala) and Sant Llorenç of Muga (fortified Medieval towns).
- Baix Empordà: Cruïlles, Monells, Peratallada and Pals.
- Garrotxa: Besalú.
Theatre – Figueres Museum
Inaugurated in 1974, offers a great range of masterpieces that describe the artistic life of Salvador Dali. (1904-1989).
- From November to February from 10:30 to 18:00. From March to June and October from 09:30 a 18:00.
- From July to September from 09:00 to 20:00, open every day.
- Closed Mondays except public holidays (01/10 until 31/05), 25/12 and 01/01
Tel. 972 677 500. Rate: 11€, reduced rate: 8 €
House- Museum of Port Lligat (Cadaqués)
Was open to the public in 1997. The house is composed of a range of fishermen huts. You are welcome to visit the painter workshop, the library, the bedrooms, the garden area and the pool.
- From March 15 to June 14 and from September 16 to January 6 from 10:30 to 18:00, closed Mondays except public holidays From June 15 to September 15 from 09:30 to 21:00, open every day.
- Previous booking is mandatory
Tel. 972 251 015. Rate: 10€, reduce rate: 8 €
House-Museum of Pubol
Medieval Castle of Pubol that was the residence of the painter’s wife during the 70’s. Inside the castle you can see the paintings and drawings that Dali offered to Gala for their exhibition in the castle.
- From March 15 de June 14 and from September 16 to November 1 from 10:00 to 18:00, closed Mondays except public holidays.
- From June 15 to September 15 from 10:00 to 20:00, open every day.
- From November 2 to December 31 from 10:00 to 17:00, closed Mondays and Sundays.
Tel. 972 488 655. Rate: 7€, reduced rate: 5 € - www.salvador-dali.org
Museum of Empordà (Figueres)
Created in 1947, offers to the visitors a chronological route through the history of art of the region.
- Tuesdays to Saturdays from 11:00 to 20:00
- Sundays and public holidays from 11:00 to 14:00, closed Mondays except public holidays.
Tel. 972 502 305. Rate: 2€, reduced rate: 1 € - www.museuemporda.org
Museum of the Toy (Figueres)
The Museum exhibits around 4000 pieces: Meccano, small theatres, cardboard horses, kitchens, balls, etc.. You will find the most wonderful memories of your childhood.
- October to May, Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 to 18:00,
- Sundays, public holidays and eves from 11:00 to 14:00,
- Closed Mondays except public holidays.
Tel. 972 504 585. Rate: 5€, reduced rate 4 € - www.mjc.cat
Castle of Sant Ferran (Figueres)
This fortress was built in 1753 and was the second largest in Europe.
- From July 1 to September 15 and Easter Week from 10:30 to 20:00.
- The rest of the year from 10:30 to 15:00.
Guided tours to be booked previously.
Tel: 972 506 094. Rate: 3€ - www.castillosanfernando.org
Roman Monastery of Sant Pere de rodes (Port de la Selva)
Roman Monastery located in the Natural Park of Cap de Creus is one of the most important examples of Romanesque Art.
- October to May from 10:00 to 17:30.
- June to September and Easter Week from 10:00 to 19:30.
- Closed Mondays except public holidays.
Tel. 972 387 559. Rate: 4,50 €, reduced rate 3 € Restaurant: 972 194 233 - www.mhcat.cat
Sant Miquel of Colera
Romanesque church of the twelve’s century composed of a nave with a semicircular apse at the east end, located in the surroundings of Sant Miquel. During the medieval period, it belonged to the large territory of Sant Quirze of Colera Abyss. Since it was abandoned, Sant Miquel de Colera was a ruin. A few years ago the church was finally consolidated and restored.
Sant Quirze of Colera
This is one of the most remarkable pieces of the Medieval period of Emporda and Catalonia heritage. We can say that it already existed in the IX century; we have accurate information from 972. In the X century, the monument was surrounded by a large domain. Its state was quite degraded when it was added to the Monastery of Sant Pere of Besalu in 1592.
It is a vast territory of 139.000 m2 where several civilizations used to live together from 776 BC. You can visit the Museum, the Citadel, the ’Exposició “El Mar de Poseidó”( the Sea of Poseidon) and the Non stop Audiovisual.
- June and September from 10:00 to 20:00.
- July and August from 10:00 to 21:00.
- From October to May from 10:00 to 18:00.
- November, December, January and February: Sundays and public holidays from 10 to 14. Mondays in winter closed.
History and Nature Foundation of Rosas; Tel. 972 151 466 Information and Tourist office Rhode Avenue, nº. 101. Tel. 902 103 636. Rate: 3€, reduced rate: 2,50€
Butterfly Park (Empuriabrava)
This tropical butterfly park is one of the largest in Europe. You can see the most beautiful tropical butterflies in total freedom that feed on the nectar of flowers.
- April till October from 10:00 to one hour before sunset.
Located in Castelló to Empuriabrava Road. Tel.972 450 761. Rate: 7€ - www.butterflypark.es
Ecomuseum – Flour Mill (Castelló d’Empúries)
The building dates from the end of the XIX, beginning of the XX century but the mill works since the Medieval period. The interest of this flour mill is that it still works with the machinery of the beginning of the XX century.
- From September 16 to June 14 from Tuesday to Friday from 10:00 to 13:00, Saturday 10:00 to 13:00 and 16:00 to 19:00, Sundays from 10:30 to 13:30.
- From June 15 to September 15 Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 to 14:00 and from 17:00 to 20:00. Mondays closed except in August.
Office of Tourism; Tel. 972 250 512 o Tel. 972 450 088. Rate: 3,50€ - www.ecomuseu-farinera.org
Center of reproduction of the Turtles (Garriguella)
This center is dedicated to the breeding of the Mediterranean turtle in order to strengthen its natural population and to increase their protection and conservation.
- Summer from 10:00 to 18:00.
- Spring and Autumn: from 10 to 13 and 15 to 17.
- Closed from November 1st until March 19.
Tel. 972 552 245. Rate: 5€ - www.tortugues.org
Monastery of Santa Maria (Vilabertran)
Group of monuments born as Augustinian canonical. It is composed of the church, the Lombard bell and the cluster.
- October to May 10:00 to 13:00 and 15:00 to 17:00.
- June to September from 10:00 to 13:30 and from 15:00 to 18:00. Closed on Monday.
Tel. 972 508 787. Rate: 3€, reduced rate: 2€ - www.mhcat.cat
Castle of Peralada – Museum
The Museum of the Castle of Peralada is located within a Carmelite convent built in the middle of the XIV century. The guided visits include the “Cluster and the Church”, a collection of Ancient Stained Glass”, the Library- Archive” and the Museum of the wine”.
- From September 16 to June 30, guided visits at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 16:30, 17:30, 18:30, Sundays and public holidays only in the morning, Mondays closed.
- From July 1st to September 15th, guided visits at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 16:00, 17:00, 18:00, 19:00, 20:00, open every day.
Tel. 972 538 125. Rate: 5€ - www.museucastellperalada.com
The Ruins of Empuries (L’Escala)
Ancient port, the successive Greek (Emporion) and Roman (Emporiae) towns were the entry door to the classical cultures in the Iberian peninsula. The restored ruins are a privilege witness of this period.
Museum of Archeology of Catalonia
- October to May from 10:00 to 18:00. June to September and Easter week from 10:00 to 20:00.
Tel. 972 770 208. Rate: 3€. - www.mac.cat
Castle of Requesens
Built in the IX century and located within the Natural Park of Albera. The current castle is made of granite and is huge and exuberant masterpiece.
- July 15 to August 15 open every day from 11:00 to 19:00. September 16 to July 14.
- Monday to Friday from 11:00 a 17:00.
Tel. 972 193 081. Rate: 2€. Prior reservation.
Girona Old Town
The Cathedral XI-XVII Centuries.
The current Cathedral is the result of different Romanesque and Gothic styles; the frontage is considered as the most beautiful Baroque masterpiece of the Catalan architecture.
Museum of the Treasure
Collection of religious art and liturgics furniture of the Cathedral.
- Working days from April to October 10:00 to 20:00.
- From November to March 10:00 to 19:00.
- Saturdays and eves from 10 to 16:30.
Tel. 972 285 114. Rate: 5€ (audioguide included) - www.catedraldegirona.org
The Jewish Quarter
Located in La Força Street with:
Museum of History of the Town
A promenade through the history of the town from the Prehistory to the present.
- Tuesday to Saturday from 10:00 to 14:00 and from 17:00 to 19:00;
- Sundays and public holidays from 10:00 to 14:00, closed on Mondays.
Tel. 972 222 229. Rate: 3€, reduced rate: 2€ - www.ajuntament.gi/museu_ciutat.cat
Museum of History of the Jewish
Located in the place occupied by the Synagogue in the XV century, the museum shows the historic trajectory of the Jewish communities in Catalonia.
- Summer open on working days from 10:00 to 20:00 ;
- Sundays and public holidays from 10:00 to 15:00.
- November to May from 10:00 to 18:00, Sundays and public holidays de 10:00 a 15:00.
Tel. 972 216 761. Rate: 2€ - www.ajuntament.gi/call/cat
Museum of Art
Situated in Episcopal Palace in Cathedral Street 12. The visitor will enjoy a large and excellent collection of Romanesque and Gothic art as well as a range of altarpieces of the XVI and masterpieces of the beginning of the XX century.
- March to September from 10:00 to 19:00.
- October to February from 10:00 to 18:00.
- Sundays and public holidays from 10:00 to 14:00. Closed on Mondays
Tel. 972 203 834. rate: 2€, reduced rate 1,50€ - www.museuart.com
Church of Sant Feliu (s. XIV – XVII)
Dates from the XII-XVI centuries and presents several architectural styles such as Romanesque, gothic and baroque.
The Arab Baths (s. XII – XIII)
Romanesque building of XII century similar to the Roman public baths.
- April to September - Monday to Saturday from 10:00 a 19:00;
- Sundays and public holidays from 10:00 to 14:00.
- October to March, Monday through Sunday from 10:00 to 14:00.
Tel. 972 190 797. Rate: 2€ - www.banysarabs.org
Monastery of Sant Pere de Galligants
It is one of the most remarkable monuments of the Lombard Romanesque style of Catalonia. (XII Century)
Museum of Archeology of Catalonia
The visitor will learn about the most ancient history of humankind in the region of Girona, from prehistory to the Middle Ages period.
- Working days - June to September from 10:30 a 13:30 and from 16:00 to 19:00.
- October to May – working days from 10:00 to 14:00 and from 16:00 to 18:00.
- Sundays and public holidays from 10:00 to 14:30. Closed on Monday.
Tel. 972 202 632. Rate: 2,30€ - Tourist Office: Berenguer Carnisser Street , n.5 Tel. 972 211 678
Museum of the Cinema (Girona)
The museum presents how men have managed to capture moving pictures through the history. “The cinema before the Cinema”
- From October to April-Tuesdays through Fridays from 10:00 to 18:00,
- Saturdays from 10:00 to 20:00; Sundays from 11:00 to 15:00.
- May to September – Tuesday to Sunday open from 10 :00 to 20:00.
Located in Sèquia Street nº 1. Tel. 972 412 777. Rate: 4€, reduced: 2€ - www.museudelcinema.org
La Bisbal d’Empordà
It is the center of avant-garde ceramics of Catalonia.
Terracotta Museum (closed for renovation)
Terracotta Manufacturas, S.A.,was an ancient industry dedicated to the fabrication of ceramics. Today it is the headquarter of the Ceramic Museum and one of the most amazing industrial archeological buildings.
Palace Castle of La Bisbal d’Empordà
Romanesque monuments (XI and XII centuries) built by bishops of Girona and Lords of La Bisbal. Enjoy the history with the film “Land and blood”: the feudal war in L’Emporda with the virtual visit of several characters of the Middle-Ages.
- May to September - Tuesday to Saturday from 10:00 a 13:30 and 16:30 to 20:30.
- Sunday and public holidays from 10:00 to 14:00 January to April and October through
- December: Thursday from 17:00 to 20:00, Friday and Saturday from 10:00 to 13:30 and from 17:00 to 20:00;
- Sunday and public holidays from 10:00 to 14:00
Tel. 972 64 51 66 - www.labisbal.info
Iberian Village of Ullastret
Iberian village located at the top of a hill. More than 2500 years ago, Ullastret was one of the most important villages of Catalonia.
Museum of Archeology of Catalonia
- June to September and Easter Holidays from 10:00 to 20:00. October 1st to May 31 from 10:00 to 14:00 and from 15:00 a 18:00. Closed on Monday. Rate: 2,30€
- Guided visits with Indiketa first Sunday of April, May, June and September at 12:00 and fist Saturday and Sunday of July and august at 18:30.
Tel. 972 179 058. Free entrance - www.mac.cat
Pond of Banyoles
Darder Museum of Natural History
- September to June - Tuesday to Saturday from 10:30 to 13:30 and 16:00 to 18:30.
- July 1st to August 31 from Tuesday to Saturday 10:30 to 13:30 and 16:00 to 19:30.
- Every Sunday of the year from 10:30 to 14:00. Tel. 972 574 467.
County Archeological Museum
Contains a remarkable collection of archeology and paleontology of the “Pla de l’Estany”.
- September to June from Tuesday to Saturday 10:30 to 13:30 and 16:00 to 18:30.
- From July 1st to August 31, Tuesday through Saturday from 10:30 to 13:30 and from 16:00 to 19:30. Open every Sunday of the year from 10:30 a 14:00.
Tel. 972 572 361. Rate for 1 entry to two museums: 3€. www.museusdebanyoles.cat
Natural Park of Aiguamolls (Marshes) de l’Empordà (Sant Pere Pescador)
The park is divided in two areas located at the North and South of the Muga River; it includes 3 zones of Integral Natural Park.
- Tourist Office “El Cortalet” Castelló d’Empúries: Route of Sant Pere Pescador.
Guided visits: Tel. 972 454 222
The Route of Wine Cellars of the Emporda Designation of Origins
Consell Regulador DO Empordà (Control Board Emporda Designation of Origins)
Tel: 972 50 75 13 - www.doemporda.com